All current latest job vacancies will be listed on this page.
Café Team Leader
Salary: £23,000 – £25,000 pro rata
Accountable to: Café & Retail Operations Manager
Accountable for: Café Volunteers
Hours: 3 or 4 days per week, 7 hours per day, regular weekend and occasional evening working
Deadline for applications: 9am, Wednesday 20th September 2023
Do you love sharing stories and connecting people through food? Would you like to work in (officially) the best museum café in the UK?
As a Café Team Leader you will be an integral member of our Front of House Team. This is an active, varied and hands-on role that supervises the daily operation of our café.
Day-to-day activities will include everything from cash handling, to keeping the kitchen and front of house clean and organised, to serving customers, to brewing barista coffees, to making delicious food from scratch.
Working alongside our Café and Retail Operations Manager you will delve into the rich, diverse stories of Jewish Manchester, creating seasonal dishes inspired by what you find from the ground up.
As a Café Team Leader you will work independently for a large proportion of the time. You will be responsible for supporting, guiding, and encouraging a team of café Volunteers. Our Volunteers have a range of experience and skills and will help you prepare our café Menu from scratch and deliver exceptional customer service.
A key part of your role will be to assist the Café and Retail Operations Manager to manage stock effectively in both the café and shop, draw up volunteer rotas, plan for special events and complete daily checks and paperwork to ensure we meet all Food Safety requirements to an outstanding standard.
You will also be asked to support with special events such as group bookings, venue hire, live music, exhibitions and theatre productions. Flexibility and a desire to help and support others are vital attributes for this role.
Skills & Experience
- Experience preparing and serving food in a professional kitchen – Ideally trained in Level 2 Food Hygiene.
- Knowledge and understanding of food allergens.
- Experience working front of house in hospitality environment or comparable forward facing customer service role such as retail.
- Experience of being responsible for supervising and guiding other teammates.
- Confident making barista coffees.
- High standard of hygiene, cleanliness and attention to detail.
- Attentive to the people and environment that surround you.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and comfortable multi-tasking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally to a range of people.
- Well organised and efficient.
- Patient, reliable and consistent.
- Infectious, positive and enthusiastic attitude and solution focussed.
- Enthusiasm for and willingness to learn about Jewish culture, heritage and history.
Deadline for applications by email: 9am, Wednesday 20th September 2023.
To apply, please send your CV with a Cover Note of no more than 2 sides of A4, detailing why you want this role and to work with us at Manchester Jewish Museum and why you are a good fit for the position, drawing on the job requirements and person specification.
Please also complete and return the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form which can be found below.
Email your application to email@example.com. Any queries can be made to the same contact (Richard McCarthy).
We will notify shortlisted candidates as soon as possible. Interviews will be held in person at the museum on Friday 29th September.
You belong with us – Diversity and Inclusion
Manchester Jewish Museum prides itself on being a welcoming and inclusive organisation, actively celebrating diversity and promoting acceptance and inclusivity. We value the benefits that diverse perspectives bring to our work. We recognise we currently under-represent Black people, People of Colour, disabled people and those with intersecting identities in our workforce. We are actively working to address this and encourage applications from these backgrounds. While the successful candidate will be selected purely on merit, in the event of a tie between two candidates with equal experience, we may select a candidate who helps us better represent the communities the museum serves.
Volunteer With Us
Whether you’re interested in learning new skills, giving something back or just making new friends and being part of a team, why not get in touch? We’re always looking for new volunteers, so if you have energy and love working with the public then please get in touch! Students welcome.