- This event has passed.
June & July – Craft Workshops & Talks
28th June 2015 - 19th July 2015Free
This Summer the museum will be running a free programme of workshops and talks. They will be run by the museum’s artist in residence, Torange Khonsari, who is exploring links between the museum, its local park and cultural heritage in Cheetham Hill. Activities will be held at both the museum and in Cheetham Park.
From textile and basket weaving to dye making and embroidery, the workshops are an opportunity for anyone to have a go and learn more about these traditional crafts. Workshops will include harvesting natural dyes from Cheetham Park, platter basket weaving, willow bark pouch weaving, weaving your own bookmark and embroidery for beginners.
A programme of talks will accompany the workshops exploring the history of textile weaving in Manchester, willow weaving in Cheetham Hill and patterns from different cultures.
Full Programme Details
- DIY Weaving for Beginners (Sun 28 June, 2-5pm at the museum)
- Platter Basket Weaving (Sun 5 July, 2-5pm at the museum)
- Willow Bark Pouch Weaving (Sun 12 July, 2-5pm at the museum)
- Weave your own bookmark (Mon 13 July, 6-8pm at the museum)
- Embroidery for Beginners (Sun 19 July, 2-5pm at the museum)
- Manchester’s Textile Industry: The Archaeology (Sun 28 June, 12:30-1:30pm at the museum)
- Willow weaving and global inspirations (Sun 5 July, 12:30-1:30pm at the museum)
- Weaving and Textile Trades in Cheetham Hill (Mon 13 July, 2-4pm at the museum)
All workshops and talks are free but places are limited. To book a free place or enquire about any of the above please contact Torange on firstname.lastname@example.org (places will be offered on a first come first served basis).
The museum’s artist in residency is kindly funded by The Leverhulme Trust.