About Manchester Jewish Museum
Manchester Jewish Museum is located in a former Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue on Cheetham Hill Road. It is the only Jewish Museum outside London and is housed in the oldest surviving synagogue building in Manchester, completed in 1874.
It is a beautiful example of Victorian architecture, executed in Moorish style. Particularly noteworthy are the splendid stained glass windows and the distinctive cast-iron fitments.
Since the building became redundant through the movement of the Jewish population away from the area, it has been completely restored, returned to its former glory and listed Grade II*. More information about the building's history.
With a compelling history to tell, the building needed a new purpose and in 1984 it re-opened as a Museum. The Museum now chronicles the lives of Jewish people in Manchester and their contribution to making the city what it is today. The former ladies' gallery houses the Museum's permanent displays, in which the history of Manchester's Jewish community is vividly brought to life.
Registered in England, Manchester Jewish Museum is a company limited by guarantee (Company No. 8370403), a registered charity (Charity No. 508278), VAT registered (VAT No. 177 7230 85) and Accredited Museum (No. 179).